What Cancer cant do.....

Cancer cannot cripple love; it actually makes it overflow.

Cancer cannot corrode faith; it actually strengthens faiths convictions.


Cancer cannot shatter hope; it actually clarifies what hope is for.


Cancer cannot silence courage; it actually gives us a voice.


Cancer cannot conquer the spirit; because our spirit keeps fighting.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Rainy Days

We finally had some rainfall here in sunny California about 1". I slept so great listening to the rain against the windows "pitter patter", the tap tap tap of raindrops. I snuggled under my down comforter the pillow wrapped around my head I fell into a deep restorative sleep. The next morning I woke much later than usual it was a Saturday morning and everyone should have a day just to lie in. I didn't have any appointments and decided it was a great day to turn the radio up loud and clean house. I slowly rose from my bed, grabbed my glasses from the night stand and slipped my feet into my fuzzy slippers. As I was putting on my glasses while walking toward the bathroom mirror I was startled at what a mess my hair was, all twisted and standing on end above my ears and a mohawk of some sort running down the top of my head. If it was orange I would of looked like an oompa loompa from the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I grabbed a brush and tried to tame it down, that didnt work. No worries I thought I am only going to clean house and I will shower later. I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I went to the closet and grabbed a bandana to match my jammies. (I always clean in my jammies no reason to double the laundry). I returned to the mirror to tie on the bandana around my mop of unruly hair. As I tied the knot in the back and secured the scarf around my forehead I checked the mirror for a once over. I nearly dropped to my knees, my stomach started to churn, I began to break out in a cold sweat. My eyes began to burn, it was me......looking exactly how I had while going through Chemotherapy. I had blocked those days from my memory and here they were again rising to the surface. I took off the head scarf and ran my fingers through my messy hair. Thank God for bad hair days!
After  I had a good strong cup of coffee turned up the radio I soon cleared my mind with good old sweating to the oldies while dusting and vacuuming and rearranging furniture. My strength had certainly returned. After a while the house was spic and span time for a nice hot shower. I was going  to put on a big bulky sweater and leggings and sit on the sofa and read a good book. I just love Saturdays like this, don't you?
I jumped in the hot shower steam rising up over the shower doors and into the air. I scrubbed my face then poured a nice glob of volumizing shampoo into my hand and rubbed it into my hair, I love that feeling, the hair slipping around my hands as I swirl and rub my head. Thank God my hair grew back!
As I finished showering and rinsed off I grabbed a big fluffly towel that I wrapped around my big fluffly  body.

Slicked my hair back with a comb and began the ritual of drying off and lotioning up.(This takes a while, there is a lot of ground to cover if you know what I mean). As I began to dress staring in the mirror I am reminded again of the effects of Cancer. Yes I had two lady bumps one had been reconstructed and had an implant the other had a reduction and lift to match the size and shape of the new boob. Still fresh with  the scars from a surgery I had had less than four months ago.

This will never go away, the memories the feelings, the scars both mentally and physically. All I can do is Thank God I am still here!
So my house is clean, so am I, all dressed hair dried and styled, time to relax and read a good book.
Always your Breast friend,
Janie Kay



 This is my Surgeon who truly has been a great support to me, no pun intended. He was honest and explained all the different avenues that a person could take after having a mastectomy. Breast reconstruction is a very personal choice and not right for everyone. "You will never have perfect breasts, but you will feel and look better in your clothes". Thank God for Dr Alex Lechtman!

No comments:

Post a Comment